The Late Miso's Epitaph

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Down and Out



Now although it seems like a good title for the Cavs performance in the NBA finals, this is actually a post about me, and my most recent basketball injury. During a regular Thursday night practice game a month ago, I managed to sprain my ankle. “Yeah Yeah, sprain whatever” is probably what most of you are thinking, but this one was nasty! I came down on top of another player’s foot, after jumping (2 meters) in the air for a rebound. My ankle rolled out and the ligaments on it were severely stretched. I was unable to walk, stand, or bear any weight at all on my right leg.

The next day after visiting two hospitals, we finally found a third hospital which was able to treat me (the first one was for internal medicine only, and for the second one, the doctor was on vacation that day). I got X-rays showing no breakage of the bone, and a pair of crutches from the 1960’s.

I continued to use those crutches for one week, before finally being able to place enough weight on my right foot to limp again. All in all it has been a very expensive occurrence as I was forced to take a cab to work (10$ each way) for a week.

4 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I know how it feels man...I blew out my ankle playing soccer in highschool (it swelled up to about the size of a cantaloupe). It's a little known fact that serious sprains are often worse than actually breaking a bone. Once ligaments are torn, they can take way longer to heal. Hopefully yours wasn't too bad! I guess those are probably the biggest set of crutches in all of Japan! Someone was probably keeping them in the storeroom for decades just in case a big guy like you needed them some day!!! Hope the ankle feels better soon!

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

g-dog, take care of yourself!

 
At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa, holly suckage!! hope that heals up quick man, we need you on the court...JAPAN needs you on the court :)

 
At 4:41 AM, Blogger Graham said...

"holly suckage" really sums it all up!

yeah I'm walking and trash talkin' again but it'll be a long time before I'm back to bball.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. WORD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home