The Late Miso's Epitaph

Friday, December 01, 2006

What's 楓月 Mean Anyways?

In answer to the questions of many, I will perform a mini Japanese lesson here for everyone.

= maple
= moon
= tree
= wind

With that straightened out we can look at the combined meanings. Itsuki's father worked hard for half a year trying to come up with names that represented both parents in an interesting way (in the end however Itsuki changed the reading of this name from Katsuki --> Fuzuki). He decided that "maple" was a representation of Canada and thus his father. He thought that the pronunciation of moon (in this case) "ki" matched the ending of Itsuki, and thus both father and mother were incorporated in the name.

In adition to that. As you can see maple is a combination of both tree and wind. That also gives Fuzuki's name a strong relation to nature. Finally, Fuzuki was born in the fall, and in Japan the fall is symbolized by such elements as the moon and wind. All of these things brought together make the name very suitable for our special son.

To top it all off, the name Fuzuki is very very rare. I have never heard it in all of my time here in Japan before it was decided upon. That is one more special element that our son has going on with his name. Well, I hope that clear is all up for you.

P.S.

I came up with the name Raine, becuase I liked the sound, and I also thought it was a very unique name. Few people (other than the lead singer of Our Lady Peace) share this name. Oh and if you look it up on the internet it is supposed to me "wise ruler" in old English.

3 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's really cool, i'm pretty sure that much thought did not go into my name!

and how cool that uruara and you guys had your kiddos so close together! her parents must be going nuts over all the new grandkids!

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gonna name my kid Kawasaki. And then call him Ninja for short. It'll be sweet.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Graham said...

Yo... Ariane... YES the GP's are going crazy!

Parv... when r u having that kid?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home